Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Split Pea Soup for beginners

I grew up as one of six children.  Of those six kids only my brother and I really loved split pea soup.  So whenever Mom made it, we knew she was making something we especially liked.   If you've ever heard the old bit about a dish being made with love, it's so true!  Regardless of how easy or hard it is to make, love is the most important and abundant ingredient.  Cooking for someone takes time and when you put forth effort for someone else, you are giving them your love.  So when Mom made split pea soup I felt the the love. 

When it comes to split pea soup, you either love it or you hate it.  It's no secret, I love it!  And contrary to the beliefs of some (you know who you are) you don't have to split the peas yourself!  They already come split.  Four simple ingredients and you're on your way.

I normally put ham in my soup, however in honor of my vegetarian friends out there, this one is a vegan version.  Thanks to my friend Daisy for leaving the bouillon at my house for me to "play with" and to Brenda M., both from Virginia who are vegetarians and encourage me in that direction.  For my fellow carnivores out there, you can use chicken stock in place of the vegetable stock if you'd like.  Also adding diced ham makes it a bit more hardy.

If you have a ham bone, stick it in the water as the soup cooks.  It will add an amazing dept of flavor.  Then you can take the remaining ham bits and add them to the soup.

 Here's all you'll need:
4 quart crock pot
4 cups split peas
1 carrot, diced = 3/4 cup approx
1 cup diced onion
3 cubes of vegetable bouillon
3 quarts water

Those little peas are going to swell in size so it will look like you have too much liquid to start.  If at anytime the peas rise above the liquid line, add more so they are covered.

If you don't have a crock pot you can use a stove top pot with a lid and cook on it very low heat.  I would encourage you to get a crock pot.  I've had one (not the same one) since I was first married back in the early 80's!  Actually I have two of them now, a 6 quart and a 4 quart.  Don't tell my husband but if I see a 2 quart, I'll buy it!  Crock pots are like pots and pans.  You need different sizes for different dishes and/or crowd size.

If you're on a limited budget, the good news is they are inexpensive!  You only need someplace to store them.  Stop at your local thrift store and I'll bet you can find 3 or 4 of them for about $10 each.

As it nears completion the peas will appear intact, however when you stir them they will disintegrate and become a thick soup.
 
Fear not, if this seems like way to much soup for one night's dinner, it's supposed to be.  You can fill quart zip lock bags with enough portions to suit your household and freeze them.  They stack nicely and don't take up much room. 

What could be more comforting than coming home on a cold afternoon, tired, hungry and knowing all you have to do is pull a bag out of the freezer and heat it up?  Add crusty bread and you're set.  Serve it up as the main course or use a smaller serving and add a salad.  Either way you are going to feel all warm and fuzzy inside, I promise!


3 comments:

  1. I am going to make this next week. How easy! I am still getting used to the concept of making soup in the crock pot (did it for the first time over the holidays) and think I like it better than a pot on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I did make yummy split pea soup in the crock pot, modifying your recipe a bit. I used 2 cups of peas, one diced carrot, 1/4 of chopped white onion, and 4 cans of broth (2 veg, 2 low-sodium chicken). I cooked it on low for many hours...probably 8. It's so cool when the peas finally turn into that thick mush (for lack of a better description) and you keep stirring them and before your eyes you have soup! I didn't use ham, and it still tasted wonderful. I added a bit of salt at the end. Oh, I also used 4 bays leaves and about 1 teaspoon of thyme (made for split pea soup!). I enjoyed a big bowl of soup and froze the rest in gallon sized freezer bags.

      Delete