Thursday, February 23, 2012

Loaded Oatmeal Cookie Treats


Several years ago my Mother-in-Law, Kay bought a new Kitchen-Aid mixer and gave me her old one.  I was so excited to get it.  We're talking about an old mixer that's concocted more cakes, cookies and breads than you or I will ever make in a lifetime.  This puppy has been worked to the point of exhaustion, broken down and repaired for another go round.  I only wish I knew how old it was so I could brag about it more.  When in the locked position it sometimes still "jumps" but I don't care.  To me it's akin to a Dad passing along his treasured tools to his son.  It always held a place of honor in Kay's kitchen and now it's in mine.  It's a work horse to be sure, but to me, it's a beauty!  Having said that, let's put it to work on something sinfully delicious.

Everyone's eaten an oatmeal cookie at some point.  It's the cookie you can almost say is good for you.   I wouldn't say these are "bad" for you, after all they do have oatmeal in them and cause my husband to do his happy dance when he learns I'm making some.

The ingredients are simple ones that you're likely to already have on hand.

1 cup butter, softened                                                    1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar                                                                 2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla                                                                   1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda                                                           1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt                                                                      3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup craisins                                                              1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Get all your ingredients together.  As shown, I use a few bowls to make the process easier.  In my main mixing bowl I put the butter and sugars, in another bowl I combine the egg and vanilla, in yet another the salt, soda, cinnamon and flour, then lastly one with the all the goodies,  nuts, chips and craisins.  








Cream the butter and sugar together.  Incorporate the egg and vanilla  until well blended.  Carefully mix in the flour mixture (if you do it too fast you'll be wearing the flour).  The oats go in next followed by the bowl of goodies.






When you're done mixing, you'll have few things to wash.

At this point you can put cookies on several sheets or do as I did, line a bar pan with parchment paper.  You can use PAM instead but the parchment paper will make removing the cookie bars super easy.

 




Pour the mixture onto the paper in the bar pan.  It will be very thick.  Spread it as evenly as you can.





It will look like brown confetti in the bar pan.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  If you're using stoneware, check them sooner as they'll cook faster.  They should still be slightly soft.  It's easy to over bake them so be careful.  If you do, don't panic it's nothing a tall glass of milk can't make better!




Pull those puppies out of the oven and let them cool before removing them from the pan.  If you didn't use parchment you can cut them in the pan then scoop them out.

This type of cut makes them easier to store.  I make a big batch and freeze the majority of them so my husband thinks I'm "a good wife" because I add homemade cookies to his lunch. Who doesn't like a sweet treat surprise in the middle of the day?




Add milk, hot chocolate or a chocolate liqueur and magically you're day will be infinitely better!


2 comments:

  1. These are baking in my oven right now and it smells great in here! What size is a bar pan? I am using a cookie sheet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they turned out very well and oh so delicious! I froze most of them in small baggies so I can do a quick grab & thaw. I used a standard size cookie sheet and baked them for just 23 minutes, but they would have been fine with 21 minutes. The pan was quite heavy as I took them out of the oven--they are very dense. When I was mixing the ingredients it looked like 3 cups of oats would be too much but it wasn't. Since I don't have a high quality mixer I used my hands to mix everything at the end.

      Delete