Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Cook That Could

Hello, my name is Amelia and I'm a recovering boxed cake mix user.  Scary, I know, however that's not the worst of it.  Allow me to elaborate.  My earliest and most horrific memory of a cooking disaster goes back to my teen years.  My Mom had not yet come home and dinner needed to be made for the family.  I was panic stricken as I had no clue what to do or where to start.   I  quickly pulled up my big girl panties, grabbed a cup of "I can do this" out of thin air and proceeded to open up a can of sweet corn.   I then proceeded to stare at it, unable to move beyond the spot on which I stood.  Who knew canned corn could be so daunting?  Before any other tragedy could befall me, my Mom arrived and saved the day!  Whew!!!

That nightmare of a daytime experience, along with a few others you'll hear about in future blogs, have transformed me.  I've been inspired by my Mom, Dad, and so many others, too numerous to mention.  Because of them, collectively, I can now cook many things in several different cuisines.

 I have other interests besides cooking.  I sing and play the guitar.  I've been a Toastmaster for some 15 years.  I'm the mother of two adult children (is that an oxymoron, or what!?) and am happily married.  I was born and raised in the central valley of California, lived a few years in the metropolitan area of Washington, D.C. and now reside in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado.  Each of these places have added to my culinary experiences in varied ways.  Stick with me and you'll find out how. 

Now that I've revealed a little bit about me, I hope you will travel with me on this culinary journey of cooking, kitchen do's, dont's and recipes tried and true. 

Though this inaugural blog contains no recipes or pictures, those that follow will contain useful information.  Those that don't will be filled with my rants and raves, of which I have plenty ;-)

I've been encouraged by so many to start a blog, I've finally taken the suggestion to heart.  So, hang on, here we go! 












1 comment:

  1. To my beautiful cousin Amelia, I absolutey love your blog :) thank you for sharing your ideas,and talents for others to enjoy :) Amelia the beat chef who Sings her heart into her creations and adds cups of fun ;) Love ya, Your cuz. .Diane aka Dani

    ReplyDelete